LAGUNA HONDA COMPUTER CLUB - FAVORITES LIST







Sunday, April 1, 2012

WHAT THE COMPUTER MEANS TO ME!



---I did NOT have much to do at the hospital, before I got my computer. I had a stroke and it was accompanied by a movement disorder. I now have double-vision, my right-arm and fingers are involved in a constant movement that makes them unusable [I can’t hold a pen…hence, write my name, etc.] and my balance is affected so standing or walking is NOT part of my repertoire. I was born missing all four fingers on my left-hand. I am able to type with the thumb of my left-hand.

---The computer allows me to write, again, by providing the typing situation that it does. I write for the hospital newsletter. I am also able to logically think through keeping this skill honed. I have assorted web logs and YouTubes. The internet being as vast as it is allows me to stay current with what is happening. There is a great array of documentaries, discussions and lectures that happen to spark my interest.
---I could rave about the benefits of the computer, but the main thing that I see is that it has, for all intents and purposes, EVERYTHING…once a few fundamentals are learned. I see the Personal Computer as a wonderful tool to ‘’oil-up’’ the creative processes…that we ALL have. They only need to be coaxed from those dealing with different health issues, sometimes.
---What I’m saying here is that the PC can be a great distracter while one heals, but can also become ones main instrument that connects him to the outside world. On those times that our hospital wifi is not working…I can still get to music and things that I have created myself all credited to my interactions with the computer.
---I would like others to share in this richness of experience that can easily be there’s with a few teachings on how to maneuver their way around the computer/internet situation.
---I am aware that there are many who haven’t entered the world of computers. If you can read a roadmap and/or follow a few simple instructions…you can work a computer. The key as I see it seems to be upfront with things that you enjoy and to find where they are on the computer. It exists, you may have to search a bit, but it is probably on there. Remember…there is only ONE INTERNET that most go to…and mostly anything you can think of is on there. Chances are that it can spark your interest. Staying in touch with family and friends is a very therapeutic circumstance - that is easily done via the internet. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment